Sunday, November 6, 2011

Recipe #5: Tuna Salad

Here is the recipe that I use for a healthy tuna salad. It is super-quick, has minimal calories and fat and good serving of protein.

Ingredients: 2 small cans tuna in water, 2 tbsp. brown mustard, 1 tbsp. dill pickle cubes.
  1. Drain the water from the tuna and pour in a bowl.
  2. Mix mustard and pickles in thoroughly.
Estimated calories: ~225

Some other ingredients I have tried:
  • I sometimes use a teaspoon of mayonnaise for flavor and texture; I do think that it makes a positive difference as far as the final dish goes but just know that mayonnaise is about the worst thing on earth as far as health goes. That one teaspoon adds about 30 calories and a good bit of fat.
  • I also add in hot sauce, my go-to recently has been Sriracha and it definitely adds some extra flavor.
  • On accident I got tuna in oil instead of water (It was in exactly the same packaging.) and if you ate it plain, you could taste a difference but when mixed in a tuna salad, it just added extra calories.
I use this as a quick snack or as part of a meal. As seems to be the theme of my diet, I eat things that are traditionally served on a starch by themselves and, honestly, I don't really notice the difference that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment