Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Get Outdoors #2: Hanging Rock State Park

I was watching a show on TV about a large vertical climb in Hawaii that has inspired people to get more active and challenge themselves. I thought this was really cool but I also thought of some stuff we have even closer in North Carolina.

About 2 hours drive from Raleigh there is Hanging Rock State Park (Link), that can give a great taste of outdoors and mountain-like terrain within an easy day-trip distance to the Triangle. (The picture on the top of the page is actually from a trip to Hanging Rock)

The main reason that I thought of Hanging rock when seeing the special on the couple thousand foot climb in Hawaii because on one trip there, me and a friend climbed Moore's Knob on the Moore's Knob Loop Trail which, after looking it up, climbs about 2,000 vertical feet to a total elevation of 2,579 feet over the course of a couple of miles. This sticks out in my head because it crushed me when we did this hike; I had to stop multiple times on the way up feeling like I was going to throw up. I would like to think I would do better now but I'm sure it would still be a good exercise for anyone. (To the left is a picture from after that climb a few years ago, I am as hot and sweaty as I look)



But Moore's Knob is not even close to the only thing at Hanging Rock, there is the namesake, "Hanging Rock," that has a pretty easy climb up and some great views. (Picture to the right.) It also has some good cliffs and rock structure if you like to explore or test your vertigo.

You can also camp here, which I have done numerous times, and form personal experience the NC State Parks are always well maintained.







But probably the coolest thing that you can see while exploring Hanging Rock is the 6 waterfalls that you can see and interact with. There are variety of shapes and sizes but all are worth seeing and you can get up-close and personal with all of them. (Lower Cascades picture to the left.) While there is more to still explore as far as trails and a swimming lake, you can see most of the stuff I've talked about so far in an event-packed day. You'll be exhausted by the end and have burned thousands of calories but while you are doing it, it won't feel like working out at all.












And here is one last picture from Hanging Rock, behind a waterfall called "Window Falls."

This is definitely a great example of why I think getting outdoors can be great as far as making sure that you are staying active and getting healthy.












No comments:

Post a Comment