Monday, February 6, 2012

Recipe #8: Roasted Chick Peas

This new recipe was supposed to go as a replacement for salty snacks like potato chips or nuts. I do eat a lot of almonds and peanuts but these both have a good amount of fat so I am always looking for an alternative. I got the idea out of Men's Fitness but altered the recipe significantly in order to make it better (theirs wasn't tasting so great).

Ingredients: 1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans) drained, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. cumin, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste

  1. Put the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the chick peas (Make sure you don't use extra-virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point).
  2. Add the cumin, salt, garlic, and onion powders and saute for 2 minutes.
  3. Place the chick peas on a baking sheet and put in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes.
  4. Let the chick peas cool on the baking sheet before storing.
When I made these things the first time I ended up adding a pretty good amount of salt; the initial recipe only called for cumin but it wasn't really doing it for me. I ended up making 3 cans and baking them all at once and it worked out pretty well. I am going to try to bake them for a little longer next time because they weren't as crispy as I would like. Maybe finishing them in the broiler would work too. With the ones that I had left-over the next day, I added some salsa and micro-waved them and ate them with a spoon and that worked as a change in texture from the usual beans that I have for lunch.

I tried with black beans today and it didn't really work at all; they tasted fine and will be okay to eat but they didn't crisp up for use as finger food.

No comments:

Post a Comment