Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Typical Strength Workout

Along with my cardio, I do like to do a basic strength workout a few times a week in order to tone muscles and the work my upper body which sometimes gets ignored in my cardio routine.

The great thing about my routine is that anyone can do it at home and it can take as little as ten minutes (or as much as you would like depending on what exercises you choose to add).

Materials needed: 2 - 15 lb. dumbbells (or whatever weight you choose, although I would skew way light), a bench (only for certain exercises)

*Discipline and proper form is what makes this workout effective.*

For every exercise you move in slow motion, 5 seconds up and 5 seconds down, and you go until you burn out (can't go anymore). Don't worry about the numbers you put up, just try to burn out.

Exercises I use: 
  • Push-ups
  • Sit-ups (I use more of a hesitation here instead of 5 up-5 down)
  • Curls (Both double handed simultaneous and alternating just depending on the cycle)
  • Shoulder Press
  • Butterfly (on the bench)
  • Bench Press (with dumbbells, on the bench)
  • Dips
I usually try to burn out twice, so I will cycle through all the exercises twice. I also don't always do every exercise just depending on how I feel and I will throw in some jump rope reps too to get my heart pumping.

Trust me though, if you stay disciplined with moving through slowly, you will feel it in a short amount of time and it will give you results.

No comments:

Post a Comment