Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe #4: Chicken Fajitas

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a personal update in case anyone is interested:
  • On the exercise front, I have been doing a lot of the stuff I have talked about before: running, biking, weight training, and basic punching bag exercises/jumping rope. This weekend, I did a duathlon each day; I ran a mile, biked about 10 miles, then came back and ran another mile to finish it out. It's a good work-out and I felt good afterwards.
  • My diet is going really well; I feel like I am staying very committed and hitting my target calorie and fat intake almost every day.
  • I also added ground turkey breast to my "Black Bean Chili" while also increasing the recipe size and it worked out really well.
  • I weighed in at 165 lbs. late last week, which tied my low a couple weeks ago, and since I weighed in this morning at 168 (1 day after my binge day), I feel like I will be able to reach a new low this week. We'll see what happens.
  • On that note, if anyone is experimenting with/implementing any part of my plan or another weight-loss plan I would love to hear about any experiences, positive or negative.
On to the recipe. This is another pretty easy one, kind of like all of mine.

Ingredients: 1 package (about 2 lbs.) of boneless chicken (either breast or thigh filets), 1 medium white onion (sliced thin), 1 red bell pepper (sliced thin), 1 green bell pepper (sliced thin), 2 clove of garlic, 2 tbsp. vegetable/canola oil, 1 package fajita spice (I use McCormick)

-There are positives and negatives to breast or thigh meat: breast is less fat and calories but more expensive, thigh meat is a little less healthy, but is juicier and cheaper.

  1. Cut the raw chicken into thin, bite-size strips. (Be careful to wash your hands after handling raw chicken and don't cross contaminate your kitchen/utensils)
  2. Mince 1 garlic clove, pour the oil into a large frying pan over medium heat, and add in the garlic.
  3. After letting the garlic roast for about 30 seconds, add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
  4. Remove the chicken.
  5. Repeat Step #2, and add in onion.
  6. After about a minute add in the peppers, let the veggies cook for a few more minutes (you don't want them too soft).
  7. Add the chicken back to the pan with the spice packet and stir, you may need to add as much as a half-cup of water to get the spices to dissolve.
  8. Bring to a simmer and cut off the heat.
You now have a few meals that, depending on your chicken choice, 1,000 to 1,400 calories. Similar to my sausage and peppers, I like to put it in Tupperware immediately and get out individual servings. If you want to make this even easier, you can substitute the frozen bag of peppers for the fresh, and it's really quick but I don't think it's as good.


No comments:

Post a Comment