Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tips for Effectively Using Salad Bars

I eat at the salad bar at Harris Teeter near where I work 4-5 times per week and have developed a pretty good routine of what I like and genuinely enjoy the meals I have there. The only real downside to it is that it is kind of pricey. Also, I notice others making some choices at the salad bar that I would consider mistakes so I wanted to post some pointers so you don't have to be one of those people.
  • If you are choosing to eat a salad, and only a salad, for you meal, do not try to make it overly small. If you try to eat a small salad, you are potentially putting somewhere around 100 calories in your body and this is not enough for a meal unless you're planning on eating again immediately. I always eat over a pound of food in my salad an always keep it under 500 calories, usually well under.
  • Stay away from: cheese, bacon, and fatty dressing. If you need these things to make your salad edible, then just eat something else, it will be healthier and you will enjoy it more. If you look at nutritional facts, you can easily put 500 calories of just these toppings on a salad (normal dressing alone is 150 calories per 2 tbsp.). 
  • Make sure you get some source of protein and a good amount. Some healthy options at my salad bar are: tofu, cooked soybeans, black bean salad, grilled chicken breast, and boiled eggs. Protein will help add some good calories and help the meal fill you up, allowing you to stay satisfied until your next meal.
  • Eat as much healthy vegetables as you would like and try to use darker greens as your base. There is nothing wrong with iceberg lettuce but it has no real nutritional value, it's pretty much just water.
 So here's my normal salad:
  • Large bed of baby spinach with julienne carrots, sliced cucumber and broccoli florets.
  • Depending on what they have I will add a couple of proteins. Usually a 1/2 cup of grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup of tomato in sun-dried tomato pesto, a spoon of black bean salad, and possibly a boiled egg.
  • 2-3 tablespoons of no-fat, low calorie sun-dried tomato dressing
And as I said before, it usually comes in at a pound to a pound and a half of food and is always under 500 calories. So salads can be an effective low-calorie meal if you can find one that works for you but just be aware of the pitfalls at any salad bar and if you can't stay from the most high-calorie options, then just eat something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment